I just discovered a great book and website, Brain Rules with the latest research on what makes brains strong -and weak. It confirms lots that I've said for years, including these quotes:
- Exercise increases oxygen flow into the brain
- There is no greater anti-brain environment than the classroom and cubicle.
- Our school system ignores the fact that every brain is wired differently.
- The brain is not capable of multi-tasking.
- Taking a nap might make you more productive.
- Stress damages virtually every kind of cognition that exists.
- Smell is unusually effective at evoking memory.
- Vision trumps all other senses.
- The desire to explore never leaves us despite the classrooms and cubicles we are stuffed into.